I’ve start a new challenge, completing one game a month for the next 12 months via One Game a Month! The challenge itself is pretty simple, create one game a month for the next 12 months. The idea is to create small games with interesting mechanics and to continually release something new every month. Each month a new them is given with a keynote and you can create any game that you want that somehow incorporates the keyword for that month. You can read more about the site and the rules over at their website.
The theme for this month was Childhood. I didn’t have a lot of time with clients and generally deciding to do this with about one week left in the month, so I decided to pick the simplest childhood game I could find and do a quick remake. The game of course with the simplest mechanics I could recreate was Pong!
I have decided that 3d is way to time intensive for the amount of free time that I have these days, so I started doing some research into 2d game engines. I could have continued using Unity for this, but I found their 2d engine to be a little bloated and buggy which I attribute to the fact that Unity was originally built for 3d. I want to find something that was 2d and also cross platform, bonus points if it was open source.
After a little digging, I came across a game engine called HaxeFlixel and a fell in love! This game engine is pretty simple to install, works great on Mac and Windows, and deploys to a large amount of different platforms including web and mobile. The only thing that it doesn’t support that I would love to play around with is console development. This is because most consoles require you to sign an NDA before giving access to their SDK’s, and this prevents any custom coding from being included in the open source code base. I’ll be doing at a future time about HaxeFlixel itself, and how to create a simple game using this amazingly simple game engine.
I built this game probably in less than 24 hours total worth of time. That includes getting HaxeFlixel installed, setting up the development environments, creating some simple art, and coding everything. I ended up dropping a bunch of features that I wanted to include due to landing a pretty large client right after deciding to take on the challenge. Hopefully I will be able to do something a little more involved next month, but not bad for the amount of time that I had to build it!
Give it a play and let me know what you think in the comments.